Saturday, February 20, 2010

I DO

HIGHLIGHT OF THE MONTH!!!!! My one and only daughter is engaged and the heart that has been so cautious and concerned for her happiness is finally bursting with joy! It happened on Valentine's Day and I about broke my leg jumping off the bed when I received this picture on my phone and saw 38 yrs.of anticipation,hopes and dreams, gut wrenching tears of disappointment and broken hearts flash before my eyes. Finally her knight in shinning armor whom she has been dating for a few years now has asked for her hand in marriage. No exact date yet planned.


Speaking of weddings we took a much needed trip to the coast of N.C. last week to put the plans in motion for my son Gabriel and his soon to be bride Katie's upcoming wedding. It was so very good to take these few days and see and hear something other than the frozen street out my window and the sound of the snow plow roaring up Greenhill Rd. We introduced Max to the ocean which was a sight to see. We got a glimpse of the house that the wedding will take place in and also spent two nights listening to Ben's music as he played solo for the first time at a restaurant on Topsail Island. I forgot my camera and so was not able to get any pictures so you will have to take my word for it....he was awesome!!! He sang and played for almost two hours all his own music and songs which we still can't get over. He always had a knack for poetry growing up so I guess it just comes natural to him and his Dad and I were very proud to say the least.

The four of us were able to spend many hours discussing all the details of this March wedding and took notes of all the nooks and corners of the house and where everyone will sleep and visualizing the whole setup. I feel so much better now that I have a clear picture of how this will all happen. So it was a wonderful weekend..... and then we had to come home... just in time for the next snowstorm!! We barely made it to the house when we heard they were shutting roads down because of the danger of the freezing rain and several accidents on the main road from the beach to the mountains!!!!
 
 


This winter has just been very hard to handle. Haven't written much, haven't read much, haven't even listened to much music which is a sure sign in my world that something is off. The frigid weather that has descended on the whole east coast has made life very difficult. I'm sure if we lived in the big city, life would go on but here in our little mountain town when we get over a foot of snow and several bouts of ice and freezing rain.....everything stops. Granted this is unusual and I know that Spring weather is around the corner but the lack of activity and sparse money coming in from a business that is pretty much out of business has made it tough going. It's funny how the well of creativity and spontaneity seems to dry up when you are in this rut. We have been cooking more since sometimes we go for several days not being able to get out of the house and in doing so are coming up with more ideas for the future dream of the new restaurant that we always talk about. Still searching for the perfect spot but it just doesn't seem to want to appear. The two new engagements that have appeared on the horizon have been like a life line thrown to me. It makes me center on what will be rather than what is.

And so we wait. I feel very confident that something is around the corner. I am doing my best to be an encourager to my husband who is having a hard time with the waiting. I like this translation of 1Peter 5:6-7

"So be content with who you are and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you. He'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God, He is most careful with you."

I love the thought that God is "most careful with me."

No comments:

Post a Comment